Kennedy Center announces 46th class of honorees; Gala celebrates lifetime artistic achievement

Dionne Warwick, Barry Gibb, Queen Latifah, Billy Crystal, and Renee Fleming pictured above. The show featured performances by some of the artists that have come after these recipients.
The Kennedy Center

Since 1978, the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts has held their annual Honors Gala recognizing “artists who have made profound contributions to the cultural life of our nation,” states Kennedy Center Chairman David M. Rubenstein. 2023 marked the 46th year of celebration, with five men and women receiving honors. These recipients include Billy Crystal, Renee Fleming, Barry Gibb, Queen Latifah, and Dionne Warwick. 

Billy Crystal is an American comedian, actor and filmmaker. Crystal is 75-years-old and known for “a highly expressive manner that lent itself to a wide range of comedic characters,” according to Britannica. The comedian has received numerous accolades: six Primetime Emmy Awards, a Tony Award, and nominations for three Grammy Awards and three Golden Globe Awards.

Renee Fleming “is one of the most highly acclaimed singers of our time, performing on the stages of the world’s great opera houses and concert halls,” the Kennedy Center reports. Fleming has earned five Grammy Awards and the U.S. National Medal of Arts for her wide array of accomplishments. The Kennedy Center states that she is known as “a genre-spanning musician, and for bringing new audiences to classical music and opera, she has recorded everything from complete operas and song recitals to indie rock and jazz.”

Barry Gibb is listed as one of the most successful popular songwriters of all time by Guinness World Records and Billboard. He was a member of the Bee Gees alongside his brothers, Robin and Maurice. IMDb calls Gibb versatile “due to his willingness to adapt his music, his style and his image into whatever musical styling is at the fore.”

At 83 years old, Dionne Warwick received her Honor. The Kennedy Center records that “her iconic sound set the bar in American pop music.” PBS states that the artist “is a six-time Grammy Award-winning music legend.” Ironically, Warwick is described by the internet as the “undisputed queen of Twitter.”

Dana Elaine Owens, also known as Queen Latifah, became the first female hip-hop artist to receive a Kennedy Center Honor. Owens “appreciated watching all the creative people who were honored in the class of 2023.” The rapper said that she has “danced to Barry,” “cried to Renee Fleming’s music,” has learned to “sing melodically and beautifully” from Dionne Warwick, and “learned to act and laugh” with Billy Crystal.

Senior Deola Bamidele is grateful that Latifah is “receiving the recognition she deserves.” Bamidele has grown up listening to the artist and her favorite song is “U.N.I.T.Y.”