New musical twist;

Mean Girls 2024 adaptation released

On Jan. 12, 2024, a new adaptation of the Mean Girls movie was released, this time being a musical directed by Samantha Jayne and Arturo Perez,  Jr.

Mean Girls stars Angourie Rice as main character Cady Heron, Reneé Rapp as queen bee Regina George, Bebe Wood as Gretchen, Avantika as Karen, Christopher Briney as Aaron Samuels, Auli’i Cravalho as Janis, and Jaquel Spivey as Damian. 

Mean Girls was originally adapted from Rosalind Wiseman’s 2002 book, Queen Bees and Wannabes, and became a Broadway musical in 2018 featuring music by Jeff Richmond and lyrics by Nell Benjamin. 

Junior Reagan Gorschboth went to see the movie as soon as it was released. Gorschboth stated, “I enjoyed the movie, but it wasn’t as good as the original; but, it wasn’t totally bad either.” 

Gorschboth continued, “I feel like it was missing some of the scenes I really enjoyed, which threw me off a little, but I did enjoy the new musical aspect of it.” 

The new movie follows the plot of the original film and centers around Cady Heron, a naive teenager who spent her childhood in Africa with her parents. Her life takes a dramatic turn when she moves to the United States and enrolls in a public high school. Unfamiliar with American high school social norms and cliques, Cady meets Janis and Damian, who guide her through the various factions within the school, helping her find her place.

The Plastics, the school’s most popular and feared clique, led by Regina George along with her loyal followers Gretchen Wieners and Karen Smith, reigns supreme over the social hierarchy. Initially repelled by their superficiality, Cady is eventually persuaded by her new friends, Janis and Damian, to infiltrate the Plastics and bring them down from the inside.

Gorschboth stated, “My favorite song would have to be “World Burn.” I don’t know what about it made me love it, but it just really stuck with me.” 

Other songs included in this new adaptation include, “Meet the Plastics,” “Stupid with Love,” “Apex Predator,” “Revenge Party,” “Someone Gets Hurt,” and so many more. This new musical is now being featured on PrimeVideo.