Apple advances in the AR industry; New ‘Apple Glass’ information leaked

KIMBERLY EDGAR, Reporter

“Apple’s [upcoming] AR glasses will be called “Apple Glass,” and they will start at a price of $499,” says Jon Prosser, a front-page tech host. “Apple Glass” is also said to have an extra price to add prescription lenses for those who need it, also mentions Prosser.

According to Jonathon Sawyer of Highsnobiety, the glasses will pair to the iPhone and will feature a display in each lens “that you can interact with using a series of gestures.”

A Bloomberg report states that “the Apple AR Glasses will bring information from your phone to your face. Specifically, the eyewear is expected to synchronize with a wearer’s iPhone to display things such as texts, emails, maps, and games over the user’s field of vision.”

An Apple leak also suggested that there will also be an Apple VR headset, like Facebook’s Oculus Quest. This is expected to come out before Apple Glass. ‘C Net’ also describes these as “blending AR and VR with two different headsets”.

Junior Josh Woods says, “I feel it would be a great new invention and a cool one, I would buy them or at least try them out because I could wear [only] glasses and talk, text, and interact with people.” Woods also mentions that these glasses would eliminate the hassle of pulling out your cellphone when you can just “look”.

“I would not buy them,” says sophomore Aleathia Conner, “that’s too much money and I’d probably get distracted all day.” Conner also says that she would not trust something as expensive as it is on her face, because she is “worried I will break them and waste all of my money.”

To support the idea of the product being very fragile, according to ‘slash gear’, “Apple Glass prototype currently is believed to have a plastic frame. It may not be as lightweight as your pair of sunglasses but definitely way cooler and lighter than AR headsets available out there.” Basically, saying it can fall just as easily as your typical pair of glasses.

It has been revealed that Apple has been granted with a “patent for using “Apple Glass” or a similar device to automatically unlock a user’s other devices,” says William Gallagher of ‘ai’, “It’s like how a Mac may unlock if the user is wearing an Apple Watch.” Apple not only received that patent but got another called ‘Display System with Localized Optical Adjustments’ claims ‘Gizchina’.

Gallagher also states that reports from a new supply chain say, “Apple Glass” is in “phase two of production.” Backing up said reports, Ming-Chi Kuo also mentions that the product is confirmed to be released in the year 2021.

There are several reasons why this product is so impressive says ‘Gizchina’, including “Apple Glass actively adjusts local brightness and is rumored to possibly replace the iPhone.”