Cruelty free brands minimalize animal testing; Organizations fight for wildlife rights

Alexa Falls, Reporter

Animal testing is when experiments or procedures are performed on living animals for researching different diseases. Another use for animal testing is to assess the effectiveness of new products, according to Humane Society International. 

Sophomore Kaitlyn Kinhart, who is a part of the NRAS Magnet Program at North Harford, says, “I think it’s completely wrong to test products on animals before going on market.” She states, “I don’t believe it’s necessary [to animal test], if a company is worried that its product could cause a reaction on someone’s skin that they test it first, it shouldn’t be released.” 

Kinhart adds, “people should always do a test patch on skin when using a new product so if there is a reaction, it’s small and on your hand.” 

She says, “I tend to buy the products that are cruelty free because it makes me feel better knowing some animals didn’t suffer, risk having a reaction, or etc. to see how the product would work on me.” 

When a product is labeled ‘cruelty free,’ it means that the product hasn’t been tested on animals. It is an animal rights movement to stop using animals as test subjects.  The cruelty free symbol can be seen on products as a bunny, according to Cruelty Free International.  

Kinhart says, “the Honest brand mascara I use is definitely my favorite product and [it’s] cruelty free.” Many cosmetic brands are involved in animal testing. Other than Honest, a cruelty free brand, there are many other cosmetic brands that are cruelty free such as Sephora, elf, NYX, Fenty Beauty, Too Faced, and more. 

Department Director of the NRAS Magnet Program, Gergory Murrell, states his thoughts on animal testing. Murrell says that, “Animal testing is essential when you consider the many health crisis’s facing society.” He adds, “so many positive steps have been achieved in disease prevention, and treatment through safe, kind and regulated animal testing that it is essential.” 

Murrel states, “Because of the genetic and organ system links between animals and humans I believe that animal testing is important but must be done under the strict regulations that exist to protect animal rights.”  Murrell says, “I do support cruelty free products. Animals are special creatures and should be protected.” 

As far as other issues, he says, “I am unsure of the impact on [the] environment as it relates to testing. Based on the strict regulations regarding animal use and permitting it would be logical to consider that any environmental concerns are part of these regulations.”