How coffee or other caffeinated drinks affect you; Natural drug caffeine, its effects on body

Alexa Falls, Reporter

Many people rely on coffee to start their day or to keep them awake, but do you know what effects it has on you and your body?  The most well-known side effect of the natural stimulant is that it gives you the energy to go through your day or it helps you stay focused but, there are many more side effects to consuming caffeine, good and bad. About 80% of Americans take at least one form of caffeine a day according to Healthline Media. The caffeine could be from coffee, tea, an energy drink, or something else.

Sophomore Abby Giannini says that her main source of caffeine is coffee, her regular order from Starbucks is the “iced white mocha.” She adds, “it tastes like white chocolate and I think cold drinks are better because you don’t have to wait for them to cool down!” 

She says, “It [coffee] helps me focus and wakes me up.” When asked if it would be hard to quit drinking coffee, Giannini says, “Yes, because it’s my favorite drink but not unbearable.” 

Withdrawal from caffeine can cause irritability, a depressed mood, headaches, migraines, flu-like symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and even muscle pain according to Hopkins Medicine.

On the bright side, studies have shown that there are many health benefits to consuming caffeine. It promotes liver protection, skin protection, and gut health. Studies have also shown that consuming caffeine can decrease your risk for cancer and premature death. It can improve your mood, exercise performance, and it can also speed up your metabolism stated by Healthline Media

Though many think that caffeine is something you should stay away from, it is healthy to consume as long as you don’t drink too much. The recommended amount of coffee that is considered safe is 2-4 cups per day, or about 400mg, according to Healthline Media. Although, coffee or any other form of caffeine has its cons as well.

Excess intake of caffeine can cause anxiety, restlessness, irregular heartbeat, and even high blood pressure even though it is considered safe. Too much caffeine can cause headaches and migraines as well. Sophomore Jenna Wedge says that she has a couple of bad experiences with coffee, “If I try a new one, some have more caffeine than others and if I get those then I can’t focus or sit still.” 

Normally, “It wakes me up more so I can focus more in school.” Wedge normally makes her coffee at home, but she also orders occasionally from Dunkin Donuts, she enjoys “the iced vanilla latte.” She adds, “I don’t like it [coffee] when it is too strong, but I also don’t like when the cream and sugar overpower the coffee. Wedge mentions, “the iced vanilla latte I’ve never had a problem with.”