North Harford alumnas study in science field; Boegner at UMD and Thomas at NC State

Matthew Ledford, Reporter

Alumna Megan Thomas North Harford High School class of 2021 attends North Carolina State University studying crop and soil science with a concentration in crop biotechnology. 

Megan Thomas states, “I chose to major in this because I was heavily involved in the plant science/ag curriculum at NHHS, and through also participating in FFA, I gained a huge interest in crop science.” 

She also added, “After college, I’ve been thinking about continuing on to my Master’s or PhD, but I am not sure. I might work for a few years to gain experience in a science lab setting first.” 

“Some of the best parts of college have been meeting people from all over the country. Some of my friends are from places I have never been before, so it’s exciting! I also love going to new restaurants in the Raleigh area (where NC State is located) because we have some of the best food here. NCSU athletics is also a big thing, so I love going to a bunch of different games and experiencing the school spirit,” says Thomas. 

“It was difficult getting used to not having friends at first, because I didn’t know anyone going here. But it gets easier! Getting involved on campus was the most important part”, she added. 

Megan Thomas made sure to add, “If you’re looking around at colleges, think about NC State!”