Malaria manifesting in Maryland

According to health.maryland.gov, a Maryland resident who lives in the National Capital Region has been confirmed with a positive case of Malaria. This resident has not traveled outside of the U.S. recently, and it is the first time in 40 years there is a case not related to traveling. 

Malaria is a life-threatening disease spread to humans by some types of mosquitoes. It is preventable and it is curable, according to who.int. Ways to prevent it include wearing bug spray, using a mosquito net, or getting rid of still standing water –  mosquitoes most likely will not lay eggs in moving water, according to science teacher Mr. Robert Lamar.  

Junior Maggie Dawson says she would prevent it by wearing a bug repellent bracelet that her grandmother once bought her. She then says, “also there are candles we light on our deck that keeps bugs away.” She confirms that both of these options do work.

Lamar also says that only female mosquitoes will bite.

Senior Reese Carroll says, “I’ve heard it is really bad and especially for pregnant women, because it could affect the baby.” 

He continues, “I don’t know what else I would do to prevent it other than wearing bug spray, and if I ever did get it, I would be a little frightened since it is life-threatening, but I know doctors can help with that easily.”

Physics teacher Mrs. Kristian Jones-Knoll adds, “it is typically from tropical climates, so it is not something we see often in the United states.”  

According to cdc.gov, symptoms of malaria include “fever and flu-like illness, including shaking chills, headache, muscle aches, and tiredness. Nausea, and vomiting may also occur. Malaria may cause anemia and jaundice (yellow coloring of the skin and eyes) because of the loss of red blood cells.” 

Clevelandclinic.org says that it is important to treat malaria right away. “Your provider will prescribe medications to kill the malaria parasite. Some parasites are resistant to malaria drugs. Some drugs are given in combination with other drugs. The type of parasite will determine what type of medication you take and how long you take it.”