Norovirus cases are climbing;

Easily spreads even after symptoms go away

12% of the most recent norovirus tests sent to the CDC were positive. This is a rise in positive tests. Norovirus is like a classic stomach bug – a foodborne illness that causes many symptoms including stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting.  

“Norovirus causes inflammation of the stomach or intestines,” reported the CDC. The norovirus can be spread through contaminated food, water, sick people, and contaminated surfaces. “It only takes a few norovirus particles to make you and other people sick,” reports the CDC. When people touch surfaces or objects contaminated with the norovirus, it makes it easy for someone to get sick.

“Symptoms normally last one to three days and start about 12-48 hours after contact with the contagion,” explained  Ms. Melissa Wilson, North Harford’s school nurse. “We have seen an increase in these symptoms in our school within the past week, but it will typically die down within a couple weeks,” she continues.

Although the virus only lasts for a short amount of time, it still spreads fast after. “Most people with norovirus illness get better within one to three days, but they can still spread the virus for a few days after,” continued the CDC. Even after people feel better from the sickness, it still spreads for countless days, which increases the spread of the norovirus.

“Norovirus can happen at any time during the year but tends to occur more often in fall and winter months,” stated Wilson. This explains the increase of cases of the virus in the past few months. Many people with the virus don’t need to go to the doctors. “Typically, you would not need to go to the doctor or hospital unless you experience severe dehydration or a high fever not relieved by over-the-counter medication,” explained Wilson. 

There’s many ways that the norovirus can be prevented. Number one is washing hands regularly. Due to norovirus spreading through physical contact, washing hands is key to preventing the virus. “The best way to avoid getting the norovirus is washing your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water,” said NH’s school nurse. Along with washing hands to prevent the virus, disinfecting surfaces, avoiding contact with sick people, and washing fruits and vegetables thoroughly are also effective ways to prevent the virus.