Hurricane havoc meets earthquake emergencies

Money D.U.C.K.S. members raised will continue to help those affected by natural disasters.

Kailey Jourdan, Reporter

Natural disaster after natural disaster, destruction has rained down on not only the country, but the world. It all started with category-four Harvey flooding the Texas area with about 52 inches of rain in just four short days.

With an estimated 100,000 homes taken to the ground in Houston alone, the rebuilding process is sure to be costly. Directly following this event, Mexico was hit with an 8.2 magnitude earthquake.

Earthquakes that are less than 70 km below the surface are considered to be shallow earthquakes. This is important because the shallower an earthquake, the more damage occurs. Seismologists reported that this earthquake was only 51 km below the surface.

This event grasped the attention of the media for just a couple days before a new hurricane took the spotlight. Irma, the strongest hurricane to the key west area within the last fifty-seven years, caused an emergency evacuation on the coast of Florida.

Following closely behind was Hurricane Katia, which amplified the destruction of Irma. A second earthquake has struck Mexico. This earthquake is of smaller magnitude, but is however closer to Mexico City, causing more damage than the previous earthquake.

Now with hurricane Jose and Maria on the radar, who knows what else is to become of the natural disaster chaos. As the rest of the world watches these events, communities are coming together to support those affected.

The Jarrettsville Creamery and Deli, along with several other small businesses hosted a fundraiser for the victims of Hurricane Harvey, raising over 25 tons of necessities such as canned goods, baby food and diapers, pet food, toiletries, clothes, etc.

They followed this event with another fundraiser night where they donated 10% of their proceeds to the cause, raising $203 as well as over $1200 in cash donations from customers.  

Our community didn’t stop there. Our D.U.C.K.S. club set up a donation bucket to donate money for Harvey victims in our school cafeteria. The club managed to raise $125 of which they sent to the American Red Cross.

When the advisor of the club, Mrs. Shmick was asked why the fundraiser was started she replied that “some of the devastation [they] saw on television hit some of [the] kids really hard.”  

Students who wish to further help those in need can contact Mrs. Shmick or the American Red Cross.