North Harford alum creating crafts for community; Local artists featured in local events

HAILEY DEARES, SSC Editor

At this time of the year many local events feature a wide variety of local artists are craftsmen, including two North Harford alumni. Carrie Victor and Jen Howard recently showcased their work at the Bel Air Arts Festival.

Howard creates pictures using recycled materials such as sea glass, driftwood, and beach. Howard says, she’s inspired by “everyday interactions with people” and considers herself a “people watcher.” Her use of various mediums allows her to demonstrate her creativity and create happiness for others.

The Harford County local says she gets extra creative “when planning lessons for the kids I teach.” If interested in purchasing Howard’s art, it can be found at local craft fairs or in The Nest on Main in Bel Air. Her advice to any high school artist would be to “try something if you really like it.” She added “The most important advice I have is to keep creating! Don’t allow someone to deter you from doing something you love.”

Using a different medium, Carrie Fisher creates art dying wood flowers and creating home decor and wedding bouquets. Fisher began a year and a half ago, inspired by her daughter who wanted a decoration for her room. Other versions were expensive so she decided to make one herself. The artist enjoyed making the projects and just kept doing it until she “ran out of room in her house” and started selling them. Her creations can be found at craft fairs, schools, and at the “Painted Daisy” in Forest Hill. Her advice to any beginning artist would be to “continue doing what you like” and to “get the word out on social media.”