Alumni inducted into second annual NH athletic Hall of Fame

Olivia Becker, Reporter/ Sports Editor

This year marks North Harford’s second annual Athletic Hall of Fame induction ceremony. This event recognizes some of the greatest athletes to walk the halls of North Harford.

Both individuals and teams can be inducted into the Hall of Fame, and this year, the 1969 boys cross country team and the 1975 field hockey team were just a few of the many people featured for their athletic accomplishments.

The event featured keynote speaker, Mr. Jim Mason, a HCPS teacher for 26 years, 17  spent at North Harford. Mason opened his speech explaining that an athlete is developed from different traits including character and humility.  The former JV basketball coach believes that “losing is a part of learning” and that athletes “learn more when they lose than when they win.”

He added that being on a team is also about community pride and strength. Mason closed his remarks by disagreeing that “you’re only as strong as your weakest link”. Instead he he believes “the reality is the strongest people on a team should bring out the strengths in others on that team.”

1969 cross country team member and inductee Jim Richardson says that being a student-athlete has a lot of benefits. “Well, I think it teaches you discipline for one…,” said the alumnus, who adds teamwork has been a huge part of what he learned.  “People who don’t belong to a team either in rec or in high school or college miss out on all that.”

During his high school career, Richardson was on a team that made it to states.  He said that “It was amazing because… I don’t believe there was much of a cross country team before we started it. It was just a rag tag bunch of guys that kinda got put together, farm boys some of us.”  He added, “We had a great coach, it really does come down to being able to coach and train and do all that kinda stuff. And get people interested in it.”

As a Hawk, almuna Monica [Joines] Starleper played soccer, basketball and lacrosse.  After graduation, she went on to play lacrosse at Syracuse University. Monica’s husband, Patrick Starleper, and her mother, Marcia Ford, were inductees as well. Monica added that her family’s induction  “was a unique opportunity and certainly very special.” She adds that she and Patrick shared great memories at North Harford and that her mother was just the icing on the cake.

Monica commented that the best part about playing at NH was “the friends that you make” and that she had amazing coaches. She says they had “a great fellowship in the fans,” and this fellowship is what made North Harford feel like home. When she reflects about what sports have given her off the field, she revealed that athletics have taught her “discipline, motivation, teamwork,” and her “general drive to be successful and to better [herself] has all come from athletics.”  She said that in her career now in sales and managing people, the foundation for what she learned, is from sports.

Former field hockey player Marcey Ford said her most defining moment as a student was winning States and she added “that was our most heroic thing we did.”   She added that her team “never thought we would get passed the next game. There is so much to do during school that you don’t give it a whole lot of thought I guess, but now it’s pretty cool.”  The field hockey player added that states felt like a “reward for all those long hours of practice, but I don’t remember them ever being grueling…”   As the 2018 field hockey team moves on to post-season play, Ford said that her best advice is to them is to continue to “work to get along as a team.”

Another inductee, Mr. David Starnes, was recognized as the coach of several state championship cross country teams. The former Hawks history teacher earned  “three state championships;  one in my first year coaching (‘69), then I had another boys team win in ‘82, and my first girls team won in ‘86,” according to Starnes.   He confirmed that his favorite memory of his time as a coach at NH was “running with the kids.”

During her tenure at NH, alumna Michelle Jakubiak tried out and made the JV boys soccer team.  “I had three brothers so I know I could handle the competition…   I knew him [Coach Berg] from church too, and he was a motivator. And I’ve always been like that, when I have a desire to do something I’m going to do it, ” said Jakubiak.   As far as females playing on male sports team, the former Hawk said, “Never give up, keep doing, follow your dreams.”