Annual Filly Football game shows off Hawk pride; Seniors get victory for second year

ALISON GRAFTON, Health and Science Editor

The annual Filly Football game took place on Monday, November 12. Last year’s juniors won with a score of 42-14 . This year, seniors came away with a 24-14 win.
The purpose of the Filly Football is to generate money for prom, and this year, over $1000 was raised according to event coordinators Mrs. Kim Iddings and Ms. Barbara Matthews.
This annual game often brings together lots of teachers and staff members who help in a variety of ways. The 2018 game featured play by play commentary of the event from Mr. Brady Green and Mr. Greg Murrell.
Green has had a past of announcing the Filly football matches and finds it fun. “I don’t mind embarrassing myself.” He has experience with announcing at boys soccer games in the past and plans to do the same at boys lacrosse games in the spring.
One of the most important parts is participation of staff that students don’t always have a chance to interact with, like guidance secretary Ms. Lesa West, who added, “it’s[the game] a lot of fun, everyone should go out and do it.”
Senior Samantha Fielder wanted to continue her filly football career after last year, and “wanted to keep that undefeated streak going.” Her favorite part was running the ball, which helped lead her team to victory.
Junior Meredith Price was looking forward to the game to play alongside her friends. She has a fun time playing alongside her friends. Price loved when she made a touchdown too. \
Another thing unique to Filly Football is the cheerleaders. Senior Sam Macatee came to the game to cheerlead to support the senior class. Being a football player, it was fun for him to watch the girls give it a try and swap positions.
This year’s Filly Football game featured a special performance by the band with a special instrument too, kazoos. Senior Toby Ziegler (i need to check spelling at school) mentioned that “we were having a bit of fun and thought we would change up our own performance.” Price mentioned that the band showed how talented our school is.Hailey Deares