Chorus gains opportunity to work with college composer

Hailey Deares, SSC Editor

The choir program at North Harford has many opportunities, such as their previous trip to Nashville, going to Disney this upcoming spring, and working with many composers, including Dr. Rollo Dilworth, a composer of spirituals and gospel music who teaches at Temple University in Philadelphia. He composed the well known piece “Shine on me” which is in the style the students will be singing for their spring concert.

The composer has over 150 published pieces and has conducted 43 all state choirs. He is also a National Board Chair for Chorus America and an active member of the American Choral Directors Association.

Dilworth came to North Harford in 2013 and the students “had an amazing experience with him” according to choir teacher Angela Jones. He will be here in April to work with the students and conduct them at their concert. Jones says that “no one can conduct a song like the composer themselves” so the choir students will have great benefit.

The students will gain insight at what it’s like to be a composer as well as receive tips and guidance from a professional. Dilworth will workshop the singers during the school day where they can ask him questions about their pieces or about composing in general. Then at night he will lead them in their concert, which Jones says will “be a great experience for the students to have different conductors besides their every day teacher.”

Senior Tyler Martin says Dilworth’s music is “very fun to sing” and always “puts a smile” on his face. Martin said this will help him as a musician by teaching [him] valuable singing skills [he] can take with [him] throughout [his] years in music.”

Njideka Onyekwere, a junior and member of the harmonics choir, also shared her excitement because she’s “never worked with a composer to this extent.” Onyekwere says she likes his music because it comes from a background that she is “familiar with” and it “spreads a message.”

To see the choir students and Dilworth in action, come to the Spring concert on April 16 in the auditorium.