Art Show features student masterpieces

CHARLOTTE MCELWAIN, Reporter

Every year the art students at the Hawk’s Nest have the opportunity to showcase their work in during the Art Show both during the school day and also at an evening reception.

For several years, the high school has also opened its doors to North Harford Middle School, featuring work from their students as well.  Additionally, the guitar ensemble performed during the evening visiting hours of the show.

Seniors Natalie Jacobs, Tanner Russell, Lauren Palmerli, Carson Lewis, Miles Boones, Kara Kramer, Jamie Goodman, Katie Koeber,and more; they will continue the tradition of have an opportunity to have a senior showcase which features works created from freshman to senior year.

Natalie Jacobs attended opening night of the art show to present her work to her friends and family. “Now that I have my own table; you want to show all your friends your work, so you drag them all around the library but now I have my own table, and that is super cool.”

Jacobs has been an art student for the past 4 years and has been a member of the National Art honors society and for this to be her last art show, “it is just so crazy”.

Jacobs said she would like to thank Humphrey’s for helping her find her voice and vocalize it in her work. “I work a lot with 3-D, so just expressing my theme throughout everything… Mrs. Humphrey has really helped me this year.”  

Due to budget cuts, art teacher Humphrey will likely not be back at NH next year so the 2018-2019 Art Show is her last.  It is so incredibly humbling to see the talent of these students…and yes it is sad that I have to go but my students will excel as time goes on.”

She adds that students should “find a mentor and just suck out all the information you can and use that to fuel your work and fulfill your life.”     

Junior Ryan Blosser says the art show is “always incredible” and thinks highly of students who participate in the show. Blosser adds that “creativity of students is one of the most important concepts to showcase.” Allowing artistic learnings to school is important for many students in today’s society. Experiencing a wide range of education can have many positive outcomes.

Seniors Alyssa Santoro and Makenna Ballou, said, “The Art Show this year is amazing.” Santoro added,  “ My favorite part is the senior section where you can see how the seniors have grown as artist and see what they did all those years in art class.”

English teacher Richard Peddicord enjoys something different. “My favorite part is the stained glass section, I feel as though every year the art teachers do a spectacular job with these students.”

Senior Lauren Palmieri believes the shows gives “students who have worked hard over a long period of time an opportunity to see each other’s work and learn from each other.”  She adds that learning from one another by witnessing what peers are doing is a valuable “
learning experience.”