Living local; Low-income housing, strip mall coming to Forest Hill area

Aleah Bikle, Reporter

Osprey Property Companies of Annapolis, sought Harford County approval to build Rock Spring Station, a three-story structure at 2000 Rock Spring Road in Forest Hill.  The first story of the complex building will be reserved for retail, while the second and third stories will be for apartments, according to Brian Lopez, Executive Vice President for Osprey.  

The developer plans to build 54 one, two and three-bedroom apartments. Osprey is working through a state housing tax credit program to ensure a large portion of those apartments are able to be rented at affordable rates.  

In a recent board meeting, Lopez said that he estimated, when pressed by audience members, that the average rent could be about $1,000 a month, or about $850 or $900 for a one-bedroom unit.

At a recent meeting held at the Harford County administration building in downtown Bel Air, local residents expressed concern that the low-income amay draw in crime, drugs and lower property values, plus, and increase vehicle traffic in an “already heavily-traveled commercial corridor.”  

Students at The Nest commented on what they think of this newly-developed property and its pros and cons.  Junior Becca Melick believes “the new low-income housing effort may make that area of Forest Hill even more difficult to get through.”  She added that she did not “want to have to witness any accidents or even have to worry about residents and visitors crossing the road where there are no crosswalks.”  

“These new apartment complexes could make for new road developments and would cause for extra traffic problems if the roads were to be expanded or redone,” Melick continued.  

Residents of Forest Hill, including Melick and her family, initially expressed frustration and confusion at what they believed to be a lack of notification about the development plans.

The official information site, habitatamerica.com, states “Rock Spring Station is within close proximity to a number of amenities, including popular retailers and essential services to make your busy schedule less of a hassle…”

The developer plans to create a series of trails so that residents can walk from the complex to neighboring properties, which includes Forest Lakes Elementary School.  With the apartments containing low-income residents, multiple parents in Forest Hill have expressed concerns about their children’s safety while traveling to and from school, even playing outside with other kids.  

Rock Spring Station is slated to be finished in 2019.