Senior class recognized; Instagram page created for seniors

Ellie Evans, News Editor

Graduating in the wake of a pandemic surely isn’t something any seniors expected. As the class of 2020 can’t be recognized any longer through senior banners posted in the North Harford Atrium, a NH senior stepped up to help honor this class. This student prefers to remain anonymous explaining, “ I didn’t really do it to be thanked or for positive attention, but I have appreciated the feedback!” 

Having this extremely unconventional end to high school can mean students and staff have the opportunity to celebrate seniors’ accomplishments in creative ways. The owner of the Instagram page demonstrates the importance of these actions by saying, “I also more seriously think it’s really nice to feel recognized for your accomplishments and goals beside your peers.” The individual adds that  “each person gets their individual post, but when you scroll the page we all are standing together as honorable seniors.”

The idea for the social media page was inspired by the hallway banners, as many other high schools in Harford County are honoring their senior class in the same way. Some pages include student’s senior quotes, the North Harford account includes a picture of the senior, the college they decided on and their major. 

This creates an interactive way for peers and former and current students to congratulate the graduate. The owner also adds, “I was thinking about the banners that usually go in the atrium and how much of an honor it is to finally see your name hanging. Although it’s not the same, I feel like this is a similar idea.”

This page also continues to post updates about ideas of virtual graduation and recently encouraging students to send in videos to create a documentary for seniors explaining their most memorable moments and their hope for a real graduation. The @nhhsseniors2020 owner further demonstrates, “I’ve also liked thinking of ways to reimagine things like prom and graduation to be more personal and unique to our class.”

There has been tons of positive feedback and ways for seniors to be recognized in their own personal ways, “I know some people have sent in joke stuff like sports they’re playing but I still post it. I think that kind of thing is funny,” the owner adds. 

Remaining light hearted and optimistic at this time is something many seniors are finding to help them cope with the loss of the end to their four years at North Harford. Yet they also explain, “It’s really hard to stay positive, and honestly I think there is beauty in allowing yourself to embrace the negative emotions as well. Letting the sadness happen and then letting it go. Nobody can be perfectly optimistic all the time!” 

If you are a senior and want to be recognized for your accomplishments direct message @nhhsseniors2020 on instagram with your senior picture, college decision, and major.