FFA hosts meetings virtually; Changes in operation

FFA meets virtually on the last Friday of the month. They discussed club business.

Beverly Bigelow

Emily Iampieri, Copy Editor

On the last Friday of every month, the FFA organization hosts their virtual meetings. According to junior Beverly Bigelow, the vice president, meetings look a little different now.

“With COVID we can’t do our normal monthly socials, community service, or fundraising events,” Bigelow says, “Instead we have a general meeting that is similar to the ones we had in person.” She then goes on to explain that the club discusses “new business” and goes through opening ceremony at these meetings.

The vice president says that after meetings conclude, “we have social time for our members to talk to us.” They also hold “monthly challenges” for members to compete in to earn “FFA points” which contribute to deciding the member of the month. “This past month’s challenge was to download the Rice app and whoever contributed got FFA points,” Bigelow says.

Some other ways the FFA has tried to make online meetings “more fun” were done around the holidays. “We had holiday games like Pictionary and Guess the Song, along with an ugly sweater contest,” Bigelow explains

With activities like this encouraging members to remain involved, the FFA has had no problem this year in obtaining new members. Bigelow believes that membership this year is still similar to years past, and adds “with seniors later tutoring freshman classes, it really makes the freshmen want to be involved.”

Typically, the FFA hosts many fundraisers for all NH students to attend including the annual Legends of the Fog promo and last year’s homecoming dunk tank and winter barn dance. They also host social events for members such as last year’s bonfire and picnic. However, because of COVID, most of these events aren’t possible.

As for the future of FFA events, Bigelow is hopeful, but cautious. “We don’t want to get too ahead of ourselves and we just don’t know what’s to come,” she says in reference to plans if we return to school.