New HCPS boundary adjustments; How it affects students

Ben Iampieri, Reporter

According to Harford County Public Schools (HCPS), the new boundary adjustments for schools should be in effect for the start of the 2022-2023 school year.

Boundary adjustments refers to the changing of school borderlines that determine where students attend school based on where they live. These rectifications will even out the amount of students who go to what school, so that the facilities will be used to their fullest potential. Adjustments are necessary to “optimize facility utilization, or more simply, to make sure our buildings are being used to serve students in the best way possible,” as stated by HCPS. “We are reviewing school boundaries due to an increase in enrollment and special program needs over the past five years.”

You can find a map for the district changes that are likely to happen on the hcps.org website. It is subject to change, but displays the current lines on top of the possible changes. All elementary, middle, and high schools will be affected in the northern part of Harford County, along with a large portion of others from the differing geographical parts of the county.

These changes have the potential to affect students currently attending school. HCPS can decide what grades are to be affected by the changes, and where they occur. When they publish the final decision, you will be notified by HCPS. “The HCPS Communication Office will execute a multi-media communication plan to help prepare the community for any changes,” as claimed on an HCPS frequently asked questions (FAQ) on their website.

On the balancing enrollment survey, the largest concern for students and parents/guardians was that students would be forced to change schools, or change buses. On the summary and insights page, surveys determined that the most important trait is to have a high quality school and first-rate teachers.

During the end of 2020, we were in the first step of the border adjustment process. This was the introduction phase, where data was gathered and analyzed. We are currently in step two of the procedure, which started at the beginning of 2021. Advisory committee reviews were held, along with community surveys and community open houses. This is also where there is a staff recommendation to the superintendent, which will mark the beginning of step three, which will start this summer. They will go through superintendent public hearings, and the superintendent’s recommendation to the Board of Education. After this step, is the fourth and final step of the process. This includes the Board of Education public hearings, and their final decision for the new district changes.