Seniors share plans for summer after graduation

Alexa Falls, Reporter

After graduation, many seniors plan on heading off to college to pursue their career. Before then, they have other plans for the summer. Seniors share their thoughts. 

Senior Maria Fetter says, “My sibling and I will probably take a couple of road trips and impromptu cheap(er) flights. I will just take the summer as it comes. If I end up somewhere in Peru, which is highly possible, I’ll send a postcard to Mrs. Chandler and my parents.” She adds, “Other than that, I will continue to volunteer as an EMT and work part-time.” 

Fetter says that she is looking forward to traveling by plane across the world as well, “you’ll definitely catch me on a plane heading anywhere but the US. It’s a perk of being vaccinated and following coronavirus safety guidelines.” 

Senior Nicole De Atley shares, “I plan to enjoy time with my friends and family before I leave.” She shares that she is going to attend Colorado State University (CSU) and plans to major in Fish, Wildlife, and Conservation biology, “I visited CSU in 2019 and loved the environment and how green the school is. The school is very focused on keeping the earth healthy, which is also my focus in life too.” 

Fetter announces, “I have been accepted to Mount St. Mary’s University, University of Iowa, and The College of Saint Rose. Out of these three, I will most likely attend the University of Iowa to study global and public health.” 

She adds, “I chose this school because it is far enough away to give myself some freedom and the ability to travel around. I applied to the other colleges because they are both Catholic colleges and closer to towns where some extended family lives.” 

The memories that come along during high school can be hard to leave. Fetter says, “My favorite memory during high school is hard to choose because I have many. If I had to choose one, it would definitely be the opening night of my first production, South Pacific.” 

Fetter describes, “I was a freshman and a newbie on Tech Crew, and I was the ‘mic wrangler’ for the cast members and a runner between the stage and the booth. I spent time between scenes talking to people in the cast and singing and dancing along to the songs with some of the cast members and helping with makeup and costumes.” 

Her other favorite memory, “was during freshman year when this senior on my bus asked ‘Hey, what are you doing after school tomorrow?’ I said nothing, and he said to follow him the next day. I did.” Fetter adds, “That was how I was put on tech crew without knowing until it was too late. From there, it has been quite the experience that can replace no other.” 

De Atley shares, “I loved being in the ag program and making friends with similar interests as me. All of the experiences such as FFA have made me realize what I would like to do in my future.”