New classes offer variety; 2021-2022 schedules consist of technology courses

SUMMER GRACE, Reporter

In preparation for the upcoming 2021-2022 school year, many students have already created their class schedules. Some of which are courses that have never been taught before. 

Principles of Art, Media, and Communication is part of a new interactive media completer program that North Harford will be offering. According to Mrs. Jeanne Heinze, the course mainly focuses on graphic design, digital media, and interactive media. 

“Emphasis will be placed on group project development, and individual portfolio development,” the Education Planning Guide reads. The goal for students upon successful completion of this course, is to gain a “foundational working knowledge of graphic design, digital media and interactive media.”

Mr. Brian Dougherty will be teaching the course. “I am looking forward to teaching Principles of Art, Media, and Communication,” he shares. Mr. Dougherty says this class is basically an intro course for the Interactive Media and Design pathway.

“This is the first course of four in this pathway  – Interactive Media and Design I, Interactive Media and Design II, and Interactive Media Production (IMP) Portfolio Capstone/Internship,” he explains. 

Dougherty says he took a course last year that covered the entire pathway as well as meeting with and talking to others that are currently (or will be) teaching this initial course.

Security Fundamentals is a combination of two courses, (introduction to social media and introduction to cyber security), taught by a professor from Harford Community College who will be traveling to NH to teach. 

“Students could earn 6 college credits, they will need to pay tuition for the courses but it will be reduced as a dual enrolled student,” Mrs. Heinze explains. These classes are only available for rising juniors and seniors.

Introduction to Cybersecurity, “introduces students to the evolving field of cybersecurity,” the Education Planning Guide reports. Students will learn about cyber-attacks and techniques for “identifying, detecting, and defending against common cybersecurity threats.” Students learn about software and hardware, network, Internet, and wireless security as well as a foundation for a more advanced study of cybersecurity.

HCC’s Introduction to Social Media course “introduces students to a variety of social media platforms,” describes the Education Planning Guide. This class’s curriculum focuses on the professional and personal applications of social media, as well as their limitations. 

Students will also learn related topics including the role of social media in advertising and public relations. The Education Planning Guide explains that students “may produce digital content for the college magazine’s Facebook page and/or participate in other hands-on assignments.” Field trips may also be required. 

These new course offerings are sure to provide variety to student schedules.