Sophomores head into permit season; Teens working for independence

KIMBERLY EDGAR, Reporter

“A learner’s permit gives drivers more time to acclimate to the rules of the road. It can allow younger drivers to clock a lot of miles before shooting for their test,” states Online Driver’s Ed. 

Sophomores are at the perfect age to start their process for getting a driver’s license, in the state of Maryland once someone is 15 years and nine months old, they can go and take their 25-question permit test. According to Driver Tests.org, “Reports indicate that at least 35% of applicants do not pass their permit test on their first attempt. Actually, some reports claim this number may be as high as 43%. While a permit test can be retaken, failing the permit test can be frustrating and disappointing, not to mention inconvenient.” 

“I plan on waiting so I can personally pay for my own gas after I save up enough money from my job,” states sophomore Kristen Kovacevich. Kovacevich explains that she is ready to take her permit test and that she knows what to expect. She has no worries but will wait until the time is right for her. 

“A 2012 survey from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety found that the most common reason for teens to delay getting a license was not having a car. More than a third cited gasoline and other costs as a reason,” says PBS. Unlike Kovacevich, sophomore Julia Blondell got her permit the day after she was eligible. “I had been waiting a long time. Whether on four wheelers or in private parking lots, I’ve always enjoyed driving. My father started teaching me the rules of the road when I was very young, so I was already confident in my awareness and driving abilities when I took the permit exam,” explains Blondell. 

Kovacevich actually believes that not being able to drive was not a huge issue, “I mean somewhat but I work around it.” Blondell, however, describes not being to drive without the help of an adult to be really inconvenient, “It’s difficult for me to not be able to drive without the assistance of an adult. It means I have to rely on others for rides, which is inconvenient for me because I am such an independent person. On weekdays, I work around the clock, and on weekends, I work all day. I have to plan my job around who and who cannot drive me, which is extremely inconvenient.” 

“Getting a driver’s license makes the adolescent feel more independent,” states AACAP. Both Kovacevich and Blondell expressed how much they could use a permit. Kovacevich needing it for going to her friend’s house and for getting to and from work. Blondell described her wants to be more general and wanting to be more independent with going places on her own. 

“I know almost everything about how to achieve my licensing,” states Blondell. Kovacevich agrees, “I personally am not too worried about it because as long as I study I will be confident enough for it. And I most definitely know what to expect.”