Schools see lack of substitutes; Absence leaves teachers covering classes

MARISSA ALTENBURG, H/S Editor

Since the pandemic began, there has been an even greater need for substitutes in schools across the country.  According to vice principal Mrs. Erin Mock, filling vacancies at NHHS has been challenging. “These subs are finding more permanent jobs in other school buildings or work areas,” said Mock.

Sub Pamela Harvey says that she got into subbing in 2010 when her son started kindergarten.“  In addition to supplementing my photography business, subbing is a great way to be involved in my son’s schools.  As a single mom,  it is the best way to ensure that I am on the same schedule as him.”

Mrs. Melissa Hahn says that she got into subbing when the need for subs was brought to her by administrators while standing on the sidelines of the football field. She went home and filled out the application and started on the first day of school.

Hahn talks about why she believes there has been a lack of subs in the county. “ I think the breaking point for some subs is the fact that some kids are not on their best behavior and they don’t want to deal with the disrespect,” said Hahn.

Harvey says she chooses to sub in high school because her son is in high school and she has followed him throughout his different levels of school.

“As a sub I have seen so much; the morale of the students and a lot of teachers seems to be so low. I think the kids feel like at any point in person school, sports, or graduation and everything in between could be taken away and that’s devastating to them. I think the teachers feel that lack of motivation and morale at times and that also affects the way they teach,” according to Hahn.

When substitutes are not available teachers and staff must cover classes themselves. Mock says that she “personally enjoys doing class coverage because I feel like it helps teachers not have coverage and I enjoy being in a class with kids. As a teacher I can assume that class coverage is frustrating because that is 45 minutes of their time that they have to give up.”

Mock finishes with “I think the subs that we have are doing an awesome job, they tend to come back to our school so the kids know them, it leaves an ease of comfort for our teachers when they are out.”