Harford County Public Schools changes names of two schools; Local figures’ slave ownership history sparks controversy

Revolutionary War figures William Paca (left) and John Archer (right) owned large amounts of slaves. Both figures were engaged in the development of local history.

Kris Gray, News Editor

In a Harford County Board of Education Informational Board Report, HCPS announced their decision to change the name for the John Archer School and William Paca/Old Post Road Elementary School. 

The John Archer School is located at 100 Thomas Run Road in Bel Air. According to the Baltimore Sun, Dr. John Archer was, “an American medical pioneer and one of Harford County’s most distinguished residents.” Archer was one of the first to graduate medical school in America and also served as a member of Congress.

Archer’s many achievements and advancements in medicine, education, and law as a resident of Harford County can invoke a sense of pride in the community. Nevertheless, some feel a sense of discontent as to the other aspects of the physician’s life. The congressman was a slave owner of more than 100 persons according to the Baltimore Sun.

This was also found with the William Paca/Old Post Road Elementary School at 2706 Philadelphia Road in Abingdon. William Paca was a former governor of Maryland, lawyer, and politician. Paca was one of the founding fathers of the Declaration of Independence and served as a Supreme Court Justice.

Fox 45 News states that, “Paca owned at least 100 slaves when he died in 1799.” Legal counselor for the school board Patrick Spicer addressed that, “the superintendent and administration believe that maintaining the name of an owner of enslaved persons as part of the name of a school is inconsistent with the educational mission of Harford County Public Schools.” 

Black Student Union overseer Mrs. Melissa Winter believes that, “as a community, [she thinks] people will have mixed reactions. Some people in this county don’t know the influence these figures had in Harford County history so [she doesn’t] think it will affect them.” 

On the other hand, Winter knows that, “others will be angered that we’re not remembering the positive things that both these gentlemen accomplished.” Also, she thinks that those who disagree with this decision will say that, “Harford County is erasing their history because of something that was acceptable during their era.”

An anonymous student disagrees with the decision and believes the decision was “unnecessary”. The student feels as if HCPS is bringing, “something to light that was not a problem during that time period” by, “attempting to change history, which unfortunately can’t be changed.”

Another point that the government and psychology teacher raises is that, “others will be grateful that Harford County recognizes the immorality of slavery and is making changes to keep up with modern-day societal norms.”

Sophomore Caine Blosser supports the changing names of schools in Harford County and thinks that these schools and even other monuments and public places are, “named after people who did things that some could consider great.” Still, “weighing out the positives and negatives of what these people have done to determine whether they should have a school named after them is useless.”

Blosser opposes the option to name schools after people because choosing, “a good role model” is a struggle when there are no “perfect figures to choose from”. The student ends with the idea that, “we must band together to fix the problem that we have of glorifying old and racist ideologies and people because we, as a society, need to change.”