Earth day is making its way back; Plans coming soon

Shutterstock

Earth Day is all about celebrating our agriculture culture within the school. Last year, there were many activities that students could participate in.

Riley Herold, Reporter

Earth Day is right around the corner. This year, Earth Day takes place on Saturday, April 22. So, what about the big outside event? Well, there is good news: the Earth Day celebration will still be happening. It will take place on Friday, April 2. Environment teachers Mrs. Laura  O’Leary and Mrs. Aimee Densmore are still in the early stages of planning so more information is to come.

Sophomore Kylee Niederberger stated, “ I love Earth Day because you get to go outside all day and have fun with your friends, while also learning about the environment and animals. But, [you]  also just get to see all the animals.”

According to EPA History, “Because there was no EPA, no Clean Air Act, no Clean Water Act. There were no legal or regulatory mechanisms to protect our environment. So, in spring 1970, Senator Gaylord Nelson created Earth Day as a way to force this issue onto the national agenda, incorporating students all over the world.”

Densmore stated, “We put together this big celebration for Earth Day in order to bring awareness on how important the environment is and how important it is to protect it. We also want to spread the word on how agriculture and the environmental parts of our facility work together to help each other out.”

This year for Earth Day, the barns will be open. All the animals will be out, including the recent new addition of the baby pigs. There will also be a whole array of tractors and student displays outside. The ag students’ yearlong SAE projects will also be on display.

O’Leary stated, “This year, we are hoping for a couple community organizations, like Eden Mill Nature Center and the Estuary Center, but all the details aren’t fully announced. But, we are trying to get the goats back this year.”

O’Leary also stated, “We’re going to attempt to prevent the goose from building a nest at the pond this year so that we can go down there. Due to their nesting at the pond, we were unable to last year.”

There are also rumors that North Harford Elementary School might come over and participate in Earth Day with us this year.

English teacher Mrs. Emilie Philips said, “Yes, I will be taking the students out to Earth Day. I feel like students gain a positive experience because they get to learn about the different agriculture programs that we offer here, and take a look at various booths that feature club opportunities. They overall gain a whole rounded experience.”

Chemistry and physics teacher Mrs. Christine Jestel will also be taking her students out for Earth Day. She stated, “I think it’s good for students to see all the different programs that are going on here at school. One, it broadens the horizon; and two, it gives them a chance to see the opportunities that are out there for them.”