Raab brothers find success; Digging into their landscaping business

EMMA CORNMAN, Reporter

The Raab brothers are high school entrepreneurs who started their business, R&R Landscaping, four or five years ago on their own. The name means “Raab and Raab,” but originally it was supposed to be “T&T for Travis and Tim,” but it was already taken, Tim states. 

Seniors Travis and Tim Raab first started their business by buying “it off an older gentleman who retired,” states Travis. The prior owner of the business was also for “landscaping, but it was little,” mentions Tim. He continues to explain how they “started out with two mowers, then [they] grew it from there.” The Raab brothers now have eight mowers. 

Travis explains how he finds the business to be “very successful,” and Tim adds that it’s “pretty good.” Travis mentions that being a young entrepreneur “sucks some days, but some days it’s great.” For Tim, being a young entrepreneur for their business, “became pretty good. Telling people what to do, and how older people look at us and ask questions,” is something that he enjoys.

Challenges that the brothers face are “finding [workers],” and how they “can’t be approved for anything because [they’re] 18, so [they are] too young.” 

Travis will most likely continue the business in the future, while his brother, Tim, plans on moving on to something different, and he plans on working at the railroads. 

During the duration of the business, they only fired six people, Tim explains, and that “the original” person to be first hired continues to work at R&R Landscaping. They pay their workers $22 an hour. 

Both the brothers explained what they would tell young students who are interested in becoming an entrepreneur is to simply “don’t do it.” Tim adds that “you [need] to have time and money,” which many students might not have. 

From their time so far with R&R Landscaping, Travis learned “how to talk to people, respect, and how to keep your word to customers.” Tim learned about “communication, trust, and teamwork.” 

You can find the brothers at “R&R Landscaping & Lawncare, LLC.” The number for their business is (717)- 314-8637.