Knitting Club continues;

Members continue to stitch every week

Knitting club for this year has already started up. The club has increased its members this year in comparison to last year.

Every week, the club meets in the library until 3pm, where members are welcome to come and chat with others as they knit or crochet. Math teacher Ms. Kimberly Evelyn is the advisor for the club, and she says the club has a “relaxing and welcoming atmosphere.”

There are no GPA or grade requirements in order to join the club, as well as no knitting experience to join, as  Evelyn teaches the students. All that is needed to join is to fill out a permission slip in Evelyn’s room (B221). The slip needs to be submitted each year in order to continue participating. Everyone who is interested and applies is automatically accepted, and “everyone is welcome,” according to Evelyn. 

All of the meetings are voluntary to attend; if members have other commitments, it is not an issue if they cannot attend a meeting.

Three years ago, Evelyn started the club because she loves to knit. She finds knitting to be “a very relaxing and creative craft.” The teacher wanted to share the activity with others and “hopes that others find enjoyment in it like I do,” the teacher adds.

Current members of the club include junior Liliana McGraw (third year in the club) and sophomore Isabella Duda (second year in the club). The club’s newest member is sophomore Samantha Hawk, who is an avid crocheter, according to Evelyn. Throughout the year, the club usually picks up one or two more members. 

When someone is a beginner knitter, Evelyn starts them off with a simple scarf to get comfortable and experience with knitting. Once the student(s) get the hang of it, they are free to make whatever they like, says Evelyn.

Current club member McGraw is working on a colorful hat that has flowers on it. She uses a fork to make the flowers. Hawk is currently crocheting legs onto a stuffed albino alligator that she had made prior to joining the club.