Peers helping peers;

Math Honors Society assists students

Math Honors Society is a club that was formed to help provide peer tutoring for students who need help in math. The club advisor and math teacher Mrs.Hilary Canale is in her seventh year as advisor. “I enjoy being the advisor for Math Honor Society because I get to meet more students in the building that I don’t teach. I also enjoy watching the tutors help other students in the school and build relationships,” says Canale. 

This club doesn’t just offer free math tutoring once a week; it is peer tutoring which is Canale’s favorite part about this club. “My favorite part of being the advisor of Math Honor Society is watching the members tutor their peers,” Canale states. While Canale loves being the advisor there are parts she doesn’t like. “My least favorite part of being the advisor of Math Honor Society is having to only accept a certain number of members. There are so many good applicants and I wish I could accept everyone.” 

One of the people in this club is senior Anna O’Leary, who has been in this club since her junior year. In this club they meet, “Every Thursday after school we tutor any kids who need help in math.” she says. 

Junior Jacob Jestel is also a returning member of this club, joining for his second year. The 11th grader said to be a part of this organization, you must “attend the interest meeting at the beginning of the year, and then you need to print out a basic transcript.” He adds, “You need a math teacher’s signature.” O’Leary said that participants also “need an unweighted GPA of 3.5 and you need to take a math class every year.” 

This club requires its members to tutor a minimum of two hours a quarter in order to remain in this club, which between the 42 members who are in this club, isn’t a lot of time. Before Covid this club had around 40 members, but during the pandemic shrunk to around 20 members. This year it had nearly doubled in size as the club gained popularity with both people wanting to tutor others and those who need to be tutored.