Speech and Debate team competes; Students sharpen written, oral skills

Last Thursday, the Speech and Debate Team participated in their first Meet at Havre de Grace High School. The team put on a successful performance, with senior Peter Lein earning first place in children’s literature, sophomore Keegan Huss winning the declamation event, and junior Onix Joyner earning first place in prose in her first ever meet.

Senior Peter Lein personally does “children’s literature, so [he] reads about a chapter of any children’s literature book [he wants] to do.” For the previous debate, the member did “The Last Olympian from [the] Percy Jackson [series].” There is also actual team debate, declamation, “and a bunch of other events.” Each participant can choose which category they want. For example, in one category, a student gets 15 minutes to prepare a speech for a topic that changes bi-weekly. There is also prose, which are non-children themed books and poetry. They also have dramatic interpretations, where someone can  do a scene or short excerpt of a play. 

Lein affirms that “it’s speech and debate for a reason,” due to the various speaking exercises available. The students meet every Thursday and usually every two weeks, they have an actual meet. Weekly, the team meets from 2-4 pm in science teacher Mrs. Kimberly Dawe’s room, and they go over things that they need to work on and help each other pick out new things to do. The senior describes that, “it’s a lot of working back and forth with each other, working out the kinks that you have yourself.”

The student “just likes the vibes and the environment of having people that also enjoy performing in a sense is very fun.”  Dawe adds, “If you are interested in getting in on the fun, everyone is still welcome to join the Speech & Debate team! Swing by E208 to talk to Mrs. Kim Dawe, or come to our practice on Thursday’s right after school!”