Bulson named Maryland Superintendent of the Year;

Movement in 2025 school year budget
PHOTO CREDIT: The Baltimore Sun
Superintendent Dr. Sean Bulson is Maryland’s Superintendent of the Year. He received the honor on November 2 at a ceremony in Ocean City, Maryland. 

On Nov. 13, HCPS hosted an input meeting regarding the Superintendent’s proposal for the 2025 fiscal year (FY25) budget. 

The attendees got to hear from Superintendent Dr. Sean Bulson, as well as HCPS staff, all regarding Bulson’s proposal. Anyone who attended got the opportunity to provide feedback as to what they believe are top priorities in the budget. 

Shortly after Bulson’s proposal, he was named the Maryland Superintendent of the Year by the Public Schools Superintendents’ Association of Maryland. He received the honor during a ceremony that was held in Ocean City on Nov. 2 while attending the 2023 Maryland Negotiation Service Conference, according to The Baltimore Sun. 

HCPS manager of communications Mrs. Jillian Lader says the award recognizes the “exceptional leadership and contributions to the field of education.” Bulson was recognized and selected for his work by past recipients of the award. 

Bulson has been recognized by Cecil County’s superintendent, Dr. Jeffery Lawson, who says “at this time, being a superintendent is difficult, but he keeps his professional and personal balance as well as being a smart and honest person,” according to HCPS

Bulson is moving to now compete for the School Superintendents Association, which is the National Superintendent of the Year. The award is to be announced in February 2024 in San Diego, California, at the National Conference on Education. Along with Bulson’s budget proposal, he is “committed to fostering creativity in meeting students’ needs,” Lader says in an HCPS article.

The superintendent was “deeply honored to receive the award. This recognition is a testament to the collective dedication and hard work of the entire Harford County Public Schools community.” Bulson stated that the HCPS community is committed to making sure that every student has the opportunity to succeed and thrive. He is devoted to encouraging creativity to meet the needs of students, according to HCPS.