Young Beekeepers Association opens opportunities;

Students gain grant to raise bees

The Susquehanna Beekeepers Association has recently opened up their 2024 young beekeepers’ grant.

Science teacher Mrs. Laura O’Leary says the Susquehanna Beekeepers Association is a “local Harford County beekeeping association.” According to susquehannabeekeepers.com, they are a “non-profit organization that provides support to beekeepers.” The grant is open to anyone aged 14 to 18 who resides in Harford County or Cecil County. When they apply, applicants must write a short paragraph about why they would like to keep bees and are asked to write in “250 words or less” to “describe why our club should grant you this opportunity.” Senior Mason Clark decided to apply for this grant, “because I think bees are very important for the environment and I just want to see them grow their population.” 

The purpose of this grant, according to the Susquehanna Beekeepers Association, is “to promote local beekeeping by providing young persons, in partnership with the SBA, basic beekeeping knowledge, skills and equipment.” Recipients of the grant will receive one bottom board, one inner cover, one telescoping outer cover, three medium hive bodies with frames, and foundation bees may be available at cost through the SBA. O’Leary states “Grantees will receive a whole eight frame hive, training for a year with a mentor, and spring bees.” Clark says this will be his first time raising bees, “but they will guide you through it.”

Once someone gains membership with the SBA, they will have to maintain that status for at least two years and “attend [in person or via ZOOM] no less than [six] general meetings per year,” according to the Susquehanna Beekeepers Association. Their next two meetings will be held on Feb. 14 and Mar. 13. In the February meeting, guests are given the opportunity to bring their honey to the honey-tasting and exchange at the Harford County Agriculture Center. For the March meeting, “Jack Geraghty, Past SBA Young Beekeeper, will discuss his experience at Delaware State University, followed by Dona Bushong with how to manage using a Long Langstroth. This will be in person at the Harford County Ag Center and also offered as a zoom option,” states susquehannabeekeepers.com. Meetings are typically held on the second Wednesday of every month and are open to the public.

Recipients of the grant also “must enroll and complete the “Beekeeping” Short Course through Harford Community College or a similar course. The 2024 HCC Short Course runs on Friday evenings [from] Feb. 9 through March 22,” states the Susquehanna Beekeepers Association. They continue on to say that enrollment forms are available on HCC’s website for the noncredit division.

Their spring and summer location is Steppingstone Farm Museum in Havre de Grace, and their fall and winter location is Harford County Agricultural Center.