Women’s History Month celebrates figures

Telling stories of advocacy, equity in 2024

March marks the beginning of Women’s History Month. During this time, people take the time to honor those who have made contributions to modern society, and who may not have been given the credit they deserve by historians.

According to womenshistory.org, Women’s History Month began as a local celebration in Santa Rosa, California. The Education Task Force of the Sonoma County Commission on the Status of Women planned a “Women’s History Week” celebration in 1978. March 8 was selected as International Women’s Day. The movement spread across the U.S. as other communities initiated their own Women’s History Week celebrations the following year.

“In 1980, a consortium of women’s groups and historians—led by the National Women’s History Project (now the National Women’s History Alliance)—successfully lobbied for national recognition,” says  womenshistory.org. “In February 1980, President Jimmy Carter issued the first Presidential Proclamation declaring the Week of March 8th 1980 as National Women’s History Week.”

The theme for 2024’s Women’s History Month is Women Who Advocate for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion. Nationalwomenshistoryalliance.org says, “During 2024, we recognize the example of women who are committed to embracing everyone and excluding no one in our common quest for freedom and opportunity.” They continue, “They know that people change with the help of families, teachers and friends, and that young people in particular need to learn the value of hearing from different voices with different points of view as they grow up.”

At The Nest, there are many ways in which Women’s History Month is celebrated; for example, science teacher Mrs. Kimberly Dawe has students research different women who have made contributions to science and make a poster about them. Likewise, librarian Mrs. Megan Leyburn has a display of historical female figures outside of the library. 

There are many figures to be recognized during this month. Hawks cite, “Amelia Earhart,” “Aretha Franklin,” “Marsha P. Johnson,” “Marie Curie,” “Malala [Yousafzai],” and more as their favorite women’s history icons. Other famous women, according to biography.com, include author Maya Angelou, known for her “moving” autobiography I Know Why Caged Birds Sing; Rosa Parks, who was a key figurehead in the Civil Rights Movement; and Rita Moreno, who was the first Latina woman to win an Oscar.

As worded by Abilene Christian College, “Women’s History Month goes beyond commemorating 

[women’s] valiant efforts and instead, extends itself as a calling for other women to stand, speak, and encourage one another to reach new heights and goals for the future of women around the world.” It is a month of celebrating history, and is honored by The Nest all throughout March.