Mock promoted to Harford Tech principal; Collis added as AP to NH faculty

On Friday, March 2, it was announced that North Harford’s assistant principal Ms. Erin Mock received a promotion to become the principal of Harford Technical High School. Replacing her is mathematics teacher Mr. Alex Collis from Fallston High School.

When the news first broke that Ms. Mock was to be transferred to Harford Tech effective March 18, her initial “feeling was shocked,” but then she became “super excited” because this is a promotion she has “worked hard” to get “for a long time.” Mock expressed a feeling of “overwhelming sadness because the Hawks Nest has been [her] home for the last three years,” and she has been able to get to know the staff and students very well.

She added that “it is a hard transition to leave some unfinished business in March,” but overall she is experiencing “a wave of emotions” regarding her transfer. 

Moving to Harford Tech so late in the year, she is “really looking forward to meeting [her staff] and students,” and focusing on building a “solid foundation” while building relationships and trust. She added that being in the role of administrator means sharing trust with your staff.

Leaving the Nest, Mock expressed she will miss the “connection with [her] kids” the most. Since “one of the biggest transitions” when becoming a principal is losing “that direct contact with the students.”

Collis will be joining the Nest from his mathematics teaching position at Fallston. He has a degree from Kutztown University and received his Administration Credentials from Goucher College.

He has been teaching for 13 years, 12 of them at Fallston and one year at Kent County High. Collis has “always taught mathematics, from Algebra 1 ro Honors Pre-Calculus.” Upon his arrival to the Nest, he is “looking forward to working with staff, students, and community members to hopefully make a positive impact on their school experience.” 

Collis added he has “heard great things about North Harford High School” and the surrounding community. He especially looks forward to “seeing firsthand the Natural Resources and Agricultural Sciences program, along with all the other departments.” 

The new assistant principal said he chose to work in education because he comes “from a very large family with lots of siblings and relatives,” and in his family dynamic, “the older generation took care of the next generation,” leading him to see education as “a natural fit.”

From the administration position, Collis has the opportunity to work “with all members of the school from a different perspective.” As an assistant principal, he “will be able to have a different dynamic with students and parents” than before. He added that “teaching has been a huge part of [his] life , but [he] is excited to pursue this next progression in [his] career.” He is also excited to continue his career “as a Hawk.”