Students return to Longwood Gardens; Spring flowers in bloom

Mr. Todd Stewart’s floral design and Natural resources and agricultural sciences classes took their final trip for the year at Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania.

Longwood Gardens offers many things throughout their gardens and now with spring flowers blossoming, guests can take a look at bright colors in full display. Along with blooming flowers, Longwood is beginning to offer their fountain performances in the later spring season. According to longwoodgardens.org “Running seasonally, our daily fountain performances are the stars of the Main Fountain Garden experience. Enjoy the thrill of what 1,719 jets can do—from spinning and dancing to music, to soaring as high as 175 feet—with daily performances.” The fountain show runs from May 9 through October 27th at set times throughout the day.

Senior Liora Tolliver explained how “There seemed to be a lot more colorful flowers outside than during the colder seasons. The fountains and water displays were on this time because it’s finally warm enough, and they were really pretty.” She continues to explain how it was nice to see the flowers outside including the landscaping as “they can seem underwhelming when you only see them indoors and pre-cut so it was nice to see them blooming next to other live plants.”

Senior Rachel Roberts said she enjoyed this trip more than the fall and winter trip as the weather was much warmer. She and her group went and visited “the color walk, the fountains near the pond/gazebo, the tree house, the conservatory, and the rose garden.” As they were walking through, she explained that there were lots of hydrangeas in their designs. She hopes in the future that classes continue to take this field trip as she feels it helped her “see different types of arrangements as inspiration for my own” in her floral design class.

Senior Emily Watt and her group had walked the “color walk, Wisteria gardens, Italian Water Garden, The Conservatory, and The Bell tower and waterfall.” She explains how she saw a lot of “Orchids, Hydrangeas, Tulips, Wisterias.” She continues saying that “Rather than all the oranges and reds for fall, and all the Christmas decorations, the spring design was just full of color, and it looked like the focal point of their design was the Hydrangeas.”

More summer events are upcoming such as their summer performances in the gardens, tickets are available online and the full list is available on their website. Activities also include spotlight tours, family nature strolls, and classes and workshops.