Champions of Kindness; Continue being bright in darkness

KRIS GRAY, News Editor

Recently, there have been many unsettling incidents at North Harford High School. We have constantly been faced with the bad and the ugly. I know how easy it is to go and point fingers, but I think it is time that we turn around and give a thumbs-up ot the people who have been doing the right things.

Let us give thanks to the few who didn’t try to fit in with the crowd. Let us appreciate the group of students who have integrity and treat others with respect. Let’s be grateful for the ones who were in a position of power and didn’t abuse it. Thank you to the decent human beings who stand up for others even when it doesn’t seem “cool”. I could go on and on about the good things students can do to improve NHHS’ environment for others. But let me explain why you should do it.

Martin Luther King said, “Never, never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way”. I know it is hard to be the light in the middle of darkness but it is worth the trouble. The embarrassment you feel in that moment will be overtaken by the pride and courage you have after you make “that person” smile. The voices in your head encouraging selfishness will be silenced by the compassion you act on for another person’s sake. 

Don’t be a part of the problem. Don’t contribute to the negativity and bullying present in our school. Be a part of the solution. Be positive. And for those of you who turn a blind eye to preserve your reputation, stop being ignorant. Be one of the lights. I would much rather be able to shine than to hide.

We must fix this. As one of the top schools in Harford County, we cannot allow our respectable reputation to be stained. More importantly, we cannot allow our community to be divided.

High School is a learning experience. This is where teenagers are allowed to develop their beliefs and find their identity. Kindness week is not a time frame to see how kind we can be. It is an initiative that is focused on starting the school-wide effort. It is a starting point for improving our school’s society. Our school should be an environment where everyone feels comfortable. No matter what you believe or don’t believe, respect is a two-way street. 

“If you are the light, you cast away the darkness.” religious leader  ManHee Lee says. Have faith in yourself and the goodness of the world. Our community’s issues cannot change unless you act. If we all change, the world is bright in every corner and crack. If we are content, we enable the blindness that is so common in society.