Saving VS spending; Making memories over saving money

Marissa Altenburg, H/S Editor

“I’m stuck between, I need to save money and you only live once”. After getting a chance to reflect on the start of my last year of high school I realized how much this quote controlled my life.

As a senior, you realize how much debt you are starting to deal with almost immediately into your last year in high school. You begin to want to stockpile all of the money you make, work two jobs, and think of how you will pay for your next four years and not drown. The thought can be consuming. 

On the other hand, you think to yourself that it’s my last year to be with certain friends in the same town and do whatever and not worry about making adult decisions. When you’re in high school you are seeking excitement and adventures in life but I always feel limited on what adventures I can experience because I feel the need to save money.

There have been a few exceptions of jumping in the car with friends, visiting national parks, and discovering a hidden swimming hole. However, the day-to-day gets tiring repeating the same adventures every time you want to be with someone.

Getting closer and closer to going to college I’ve realized that we should be living more of our life through the motto you only live once. Spending all of your high school years compiling all of your money is going to leave you feeling like you missed something.

I’m not saying that you should blow your whole paycheck every week or that saving is not good, but a balance is going to make the best experience. 

Spending a little on a game of golf or a tank of gas to take you on a road trip will not prevent you from going to college or buying your books.

As a young culture, we need to normalize the value of good memories and quality time rather than the mundane hang-out times laying on the bed and staring at your phone. 

At the conclusion of your final summer before college, we’re all going to think back and wonder “did I spend enough quality time with my friends and family, or was I too sheltered with my money to do what I really wanted?” I want to answer that question by saying “I regret nothing.”