North Harford attends Net Fest once again

Cassie Rickey, New Editor

North East Theater Festival(Netfest) is hosted at Bel Air High School each year in February. Those who attend will be able to see others schools perform scenes, attend workshops, and learn from professors and theater representatives from colleges and theater programs around the region.  

North Harford High School has been participating in Net Fest for the past 8 years. According to drama teacher Mrs. Nancy Green, “It is a gathering of regional theater students and drama programs around the region, so not just Harford County, but even beyond Harford County.”

This year, the event will feature Alice Ripley, a Tony award winner for best actress in a musical, and Pulitzer prize winning Broadway musical Next to Normal. Students will be able to watch her talk, perform, and talk with her to learn more about her experiences.

Additionally green reports “students will be able to attend workshops in many different areas of theater including acting, stage combat, stage makeup ,lighting, and voice technique. They then can compete in adjudicated events such as dance, improve, monologue, playwriting, scene, and voice.”

As of January 7 there are 15 students signed up to attend this event from North Harford. These students include Abigail Vaughan, who was the wicked witch in this year’s fall musical, The Wizard of Oz , and Jacob Thompson, who appeared as the Tin man. Thompson is looking forward this year to meet new talented people. He is also looking forward for this event to help him take chances and become a better performer.

Green believes that “This is a great opportunity to network with professors and professionals and to meet other kids who are just as excited about theater as the ones who attend.” Thompson also feels that this is a great opportunity and would “recommend this to anyone who wants to become a better artist in theater. You can have great opportunities to get criticism and help you better your skills.”