My Little Pony movie gets green light; Audiences Ready to Watch

SUMMER GRACE, Reporter

Entertainment One, Hasbro’s entertainment studio has set course for the newest CG-animated movie that will drop on streaming services this fall. 

Hasbro’s My Little Pony has been the subject of numerous direct-to-TV films or television series, Variety says. In 2017, a movie titled “My Little Pony: The Movie” was released by Lionsgate in theaters. “The movie earned more than $60 million globally on a $6.5 million budget,” says Variety.  

The success of the last My Little Pony movie caused Hasbro’s entertainment studio to produce the latest release and sell it to Netflix,Variety explains. They say the studio will keep distribution rights in China.

According to Entertainment, in the new movie, Equestria (the pony world) has lost its magic. “Friendship and harmony have been replaced by paranoia and mistrust, and Ponies now live separated by species,” Variety states. 

The movie will focus on Sunny, a young “feisty and idealistic” Earth Pony. Even though her world is divided, Sunny is sure there’s still hope to turn things around. But according to Entertainment, “her slightly misguided and often hilarious efforts to change hearts and minds have led to her being branded a misfit.”

Sunny later becomes friends with a lost Unicorn named Izzy. Izzy and Sunny “must embark on an epic adventure that will include a daring jewel heist, outrageous conspiracy theories, elaborate musical numbers, and the world’s cutest flying Pomeranian,” describes Variety

The ponies’ adventures will lead them to lands far away and compel them to dispute the status quo. They will “face their fears and make new friends out of old enemies,” shares Entertainment

Sophomore Brynn Huffman thinks this new My Little Pony movie is a “fun twist on a kids show.” She’s planning on watching the movie as soon as it comes out. 

The world Sunny has been dreaming of her entire life could ultimately become a reality, as Sunny and her friends “fight to prove that even little ponies can make a big difference,” states Variety

After the new My Little Pony movie is released, the studio will also drop a new animated series for Netflix. According to Variety, this series will focus on Sunny Starscout and her friends after the upcoming movie. 

Junior Grace Herron has always been a fan of My Little Pony. “When I was in elementary school, my mom took my sisters and I to Brony Con,” she shared. Her and her sisters were huge My Little Pony fans when they were little. “When we went in it was just full of middle aged men with beards,” she describes. 

Some of the men were wearing wings and wearing My Little Pony face masks. “We could barely find any kids our age, it was terrifying,” Herron recalls. Her family is looking forward to seeing the upcoming movie.