Couples married for over 50 years; Falling, staying in love

Ron (left) and Pat (right) Ruddle on a Hawaii cruise. They planned to go 40 years prior, but leaves were cancelled when Ron was in Vietnam. Photo Credit: Unknown

Ben Iampieri, Copy Editor

On August 24 this year, Betsy and Tom Galbreath had been married for 53 years. Ron and Pat Ruddle had been married for 55 years on October 20.

Betsy and Tom say they are still “most definitely” in love.

“We’ve been in love since high school,” Pat says. She and Ron “always think of what the other would like” and they always “plan [their] days together.”

“I decided [I was in love] when he came back from the navy and came to church with his father in his uniform. I was in the choir and I saw him, and I said to my sister: ‘that’s the guy I’m gonna marry,’” Betsy says.

“I had an inkling before we got married. Three and a half years before I went over to see her and I was getting ready to go into the navy,” Tom says.

Ron and Pat fell in love when Ron “walked [Pat] home from school and [they] got a soda and stopped to talk under a tree,” Pat says. “After that, we have always been together.”

On the Galbreath’s wedding day, it was the “hottest day of the summer,” according to Betsy. It was “hotter than holy blazes” and there was  a “big thunderstorm” after the wedding, according to Tom.

As for the Ruddles, Ron was in boot camp in the army. Vietnam cancelled all leaves, so his captain said to prove he was getting married. “I sent a wedding invitation and he approved the leave,” Pat says. “He got home the day before the wedding.” They “got married in the church with all [their] family and friends.

Betsy’s favorite thing about Tom is how caring he is. “I appreciate his listening skills,” she says.

Tom’s favorite thing about Betsy is how understanding and patient she is.

For their 50th anniversary, they went out to dinner at Red Lobster. “We like that place,” Betsy says. They also went to Alaska and did a land tour then a cruise. “He also bought me a chocolate diamond right for my 50th wedding anniversary. That was special.”

For the Ruddle’s 50th anniversary, they went to the Panama Canal. “It was very nice. So interesting to see it working,” Pat says. “The weather and scenery were beautiful. We snorkeled and did a lot of other adventures.”

“When we were married ten months, Ron was sent to Vietnam for a year. No cell phones then, just snail mail,” Pat says. “He was there on our first anniversary and his 21st birthday. We were so happy to be back together. Every problem after that was minor. Every celebration was amazing. We have always been happy just to be together.”

“It has helped our marriage in that we have 3 girls. They mean everything to us,” Betsy says. “Five grandsons and four great grandchildren. They are our lives.”

“We have two daughters and six grandchildren,” Pat says.