TikTok trend spreads Minaj’s fan-base; Superfans are in their ‘prime, optimistic’ about music diva

Nicki Minaj and rapper Lil Baby featured in the music video for “Do We Have a Problem?” Actors Cory Hardrict and Joseph Sikora also star in the nine minute film.

Nicki Minaj

KRIS GRAY, News Editor

Onika Tanya Maraj-Petty (Nicki Minaj) is a Trinidadian-born rapper, singer, and songwriter. According to the Britannica encyclopedia, she is “known for her flowing quick-spoken rap style and for her provocative lyrics. She complimented her music with a bold persona that included colorful wigs and risqué clothing.”

A Barb refers to a devoted fan of the rapper and singer, Nicki Minaj. These Barbz are superfans that have defended Minaj against problematic situations with other artists, like her ex-boyfriend, Safaree  and rapper, Cardi B. According to USA Today, during New York Fashion Week of 2018, the two females got into an altercation after a period of animosity.

The term “Barb” originates from the cover of Minaj’s 2007 album, Playtime is Over. In the photo, the rapper is inside a Mattel box posed as a Barbie doll. Since the release of this cover, Minaj has been referred to as the Barbie which makes her fans, the Barbz.

Minaj referred to the meaning of the term in an interview with MTV reporter, Sway Calloway, “It’s definitely a movement at this point, People really identify with me through that and I definitely don’t think that when we say ‘Barbie,’ we’re thinking of the plastic little doll with the blond hair anymore. It’s really how we’ve come to define ourselves,”

For some, it is just a fun trend to participate in. For others, it is a lifestyle and sometimes even a political movement affiliated with supporting Bernie Sanders.

There are some supporters here at North Harford High School.  Sophomore Isabelle (Izzy) Moxham talks about the rapper, “She’s a queen and I love her, and she slays every day, all day!” Moxham considers herself to be a true “barb”, “I would do anything for her, I would rub her feet if she asked.”

Sophomore Emma Cornman details, “I didn’t become a fan of TikTok or anything. I knew her growing up and then, I learned the term, [Barb] later on.” The student’s favorite song by the artist is Anaconda which has surpassed 300 million streams on Spotify as well as over 1 billion views on YouTube.

A TikTok trend called, “Rap if you are a barb”, was created last year which tests the dedication of a person who claims to be a Minaj superfan. Sophomore Grace Conklin explains, “you put your camera on someone and play one of [Minaj’s] songs. If the person on-camera says all the words correctly, then they are a barb. If not then they are not a barb.” The TikTok challenge is estimated to have more than 436,000 participants.

The Barbie recently released a new single, “Do We Have a Problem” on February 4, which is number one on Trending and has already reached 9.8 billion views.