Modern day women inspirations

Matthew Ledford, Reporter

Photo Credit: San Diego Supercomputer Center

Ilkay Altintas:

A Turkish- American data and computer scientist, and researcher in the domain of supercomputing and high-performance computing applications. She is known for being the Founder and Director of the Workflows for Data Science Center of Excellence.

Photo Credit: Johns Hopkins University 

Elizabeth Nance:

An American chemical engineer. She has held the Clare Boothe Luce Assistant Professorship at the University of Washington since September 2015. She is known for developing nanoparticles that are capable of focally targeting disease tissue and specific cells within the brain, while also providing a sustained action of therapeutic action. 

Photo Credit: United States Naval Academy 

Sommer Gentry

Is an American mathematician who works as a professor of mathematics at the United States Naval Academy and as a research associate in surgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. She is known for her research in optimization of kidney transplantation and she has been profiled in Science and TIME magazines. 

Photo Credit: Team USA 

Alex Morgan

Alexandra Morgan Carrasco is an American professional soccer player for San Diego Wave FC of the National Women’s Soccer League, the highest division of women’s professional soccer in the United States, and the United States Women’s National Soccer Team. She is known for her accomplishment as a FIFA Women’s World Cup champion and earning a gold medal during the Olympics.