Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness released; Marvel’s mixed movie evokes new opinions

Ben Iampieri, Copy Editor

Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness was released to theaters on May 6. This movie has come with mixed reviews.

The last Marvel movie was Spiderman: No Way Home, which introduced the multiverse into the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The newest film steps further into the evolution and idea of the multiverse. As producer Kevin Feige puts it, it “will crack it wide open.”

Junior Sierra Weaver has watched every Marvel movie and most shows. “It’s very important to watch all the different movies so you can understand the plot fully,” she explains. “You also have to watch movies that aren’t in the MCU, like the Fantastic Four and X-Men movies.” She is “excited about the new evolution of the MCU in ties with the multiverse. It will be interesting to see how [the new characters] tie with characters that have been around for a while.”

Sophomore Kyle Difilippo has seen most of the Marvel movies and Disney+ shows. He thinks “the addition of the multiverse is an interesting idea, [as] it allows for so much to happen in the future.”

Senior Joshua Woods has watched about every Marvel movie. “I like the multiverse because now there’s going to be more new heroes and [there] could be some new interesting movies in [the] near future,” he says.

Beginning with the introduction of America, a character who has the ability to traverse the multiverse, she is the main plot point of the movie. “The introduction of America was okay,” Weaver says. “I wish we got more of her before the movie to understand better but it was still good.” She is a kid who can create portals to other universes. “I personally didn’t like America as a character,” Difilippo says. “I think she was a good idea but the execution and acting of her were not good.”

Woods and Weaver enjoyed the movie. “I loved the movie, every character hit exactly what they were supposed to,” Weaver says. “The scenes and effects of the movie were really cool.”

“I felt like the movie was good and worth watching and I would watch it again,” Woods says. “I really liked the clip when America and Dr. Strange go through all the different universes as they fall down that wormhole thing America can do with her powers,” Woods says. 

On the other hand, Difilippo did not like the movie. “I think the movie was awful,” he says. “I think it was very rushed, there were a lot of moments where I was lost. I just sat there not understanding what I was watching. The movie was very jumpy. It caused some plot holes and overall a confusing and hard-to-watch movie.”