Second annual Renaissance Festival to take place; Drama, journalism departments prepare for event

Caption: Teachers Mrs. Nancy Green and Mrs.  Jennifer Chandler making use of the photo booth during last year’s Renaissance Festival. Green has planned for yet another successful turn out.

PHOTO CREDIT: Jennifer Chandler

Caption: Teachers Mrs. Nancy Green and Mrs. Jennifer Chandler making use of the photo booth during last year’s Renaissance Festival. Green has planned for yet another successful turn out.

MATTHEW LEDFORD, Video Editor

With the North Harford’s Renaissance Festival rapidly appearing on the horizon, arriving on Saturday Nov. 5, 2022, the consideration of making it a new tradition for the school as a new unique staple of the drama program was a success as this extraordinary event enters its second year.  

Last year, the event had a large turnout with Mrs. Nancy Green, the drama teacher and event coordinator, receiving 15 boxes of canned food donations throughout the three-hour event, which were all donated to the Mason Dixon Foundation. With such a considerate amount of donations last year, the school is planning to donate continuously in the future. 

The goods were used as payment by the door. This year, each guest is asked to bring a canned good or a personal hygiene product to donate, which will act as their admission ticket, according to Green. 

From the success that the journalism program had last year, they will also have a booth this year.  Mrs. Jennifer Chandler will be running her annual wear-and-share table, which gives a new home to donated clothes. The remainder of the journalism students will be running a stand where they will be leading jewelry making activities as well as having a photobooth in front of a green screen with a large selection of costumes. Not only are there activities, but they are also going to be selling popcorn.

“There will be many students who will be performing Shakespearian scenes outside,” Green stated. She added, “Dr. Ben Fisler, who is a Shakespearian expert from HCC, will be hosting some interactive workshops, Shakespearian mad libs, and a sword stage combat demo and workshop.”

The drama teacher stated that in the background creating a delightful sound will be an ensemble group from the NH band department, who will play renaissance themed tunes as well as the Harmonics, who will put on a performance using their voices, singing common Renaissance aged musicals.

Music isn’t the only performing art that will be offered. Green said that there will be Renaissance dance lessons. In addition, there will be options to create and decorate a masquerade mask, participate in a scavenger hunt, and be able to attend many different interactive workshops, all while being able to watch the scenes up close.

As an environmentally themed event, Green believes the music, along with the many characters dressed in Renaissance attire, will carry the event to success as this aided the festival success last year.