The Summer I Turned Pretty released;

Season two gets mixed reviews

Back on June 17, 2022, The Summer I Turned Pretty season one was released. In May 2023, the new episodes of the show were announced, and it was released on July 14. 

The new season consisted of eight episodes, and was created by Jenny Han. The show is based off of her book series of the same title. Different from the first season, this set of episodes were released on a weekly schedule, with a new episode every week. 

Senior Korynn Sims states that the show being released weekly “was very stressful, but it gave me something to look forward to each week.”

Fellow senior Kayla Doll agrees with Sims,  and says that she likes when shows are released “all at once so that [she] can binge the whole show.” Senior Ella Appleby also agrees with Sims and Doll about the staggered release.         

Season two of the show consists of “Belly [the main character] and the Fisher brothers working together to save the cousins beach house from being sold by [the brothers’] Aunt Julia,” according to Screen Rant.

“I liked the show for the plot,  it felt very back and forth, and I do not think that Belly deserved either of them,” states Sims. Doll says that she found the new season to be “kind of cringey.”

Sims comments that she is team “Jellyfish (Jeramiah and Belly) all the freaking way because he is so sweet and more attractive, and he has always been there for her.”

Appleby states that she found season one to be “a lot more boring than season one” and the ending of the show “was the main reason that it turned [her] off.”

“The ending hurt me;  I do not like that we saw how sad Conrad was and that it did not end with everyone happy,” says Sims. 

Doll “did not like the ending” and she is team “Conrad because Jeramiah is toxic and not attractive,” she states. 

Shortly after the release of season two, the announcement of season three was released. However, it may be a while before the show returns due to “WGA and SAG-AFTRA went on strike, and that no work on the third season will begin until labor negotiations between the guilds and the studios have been resolved,” according to Variety.