Legally Blonde continues rehearsal; Actors practice for upcoming show

As the weeks go by, students a part of this year’s musical continue their rehearsal. Blocking, dancing, singing, and other skills being practiced for opening night on April 12. 

Junior Kira Victoria-Holt is the lead role starring as Elle Woods and she is “very happy” with her role. Holt claims, “practices have been going very well and it is already coming together which is a great way to start.”

This actress has been in Footloose, King Tut, All Together Now, Guy and Dolls, Aladdin, and now Legally Blonde. Holt says, “I have been doing musical theater for about six years now and have loved it so far.”

Holt explains, “my favorite part of being in this musical so far would have to be learning the music, as well as my lines. The one thing that I have been struggling with is waiting for the show to happen.”

She has made “a good chunk of new friends,” and most of them are either “underclassmen, or people trying theater for the first time.”

Senior Alex Wakefield is one of the lead male roles as Emmet. As for practices, Wakefield shares, “a lot of work gets done, which is good; they aren’t too frequent.” 

The senior has met a ton of people he “hasn’t met before” through this musical. He has enjoyed “making new friends” and is having trouble with “the memorization” part of acting.

Wakefield says, “I have been doing musical theater since I was about 12. I have been in a few musicals since then.”

Senior Mariah Imes plays the role of Margot, who is the lead’s best friend. The actress says, “we have gotten so much done during practices and I have made a couple new friends which is always good.”

Imes claims, “the thing I love most about being a part of this show is getting on stage with some of my favorite people. I am not looking forward to tech week as much, because of how much stress and time comes from that.” 

The senior has been doing musical theater for about four years and continues to do it because it brings her “joy and light.” 

Co-director and choir teacher Ms. Katelyn Hemling says, “I performed in musicals all through High School and then pursued Opera in college. So I did a lot of staged work in grad school. I got to work on all sides of production from backstage to light booth to costumes and more.”

Hemling explains, “I would say the hardest part is planning. There are a lot of moving pieces, and a lot to get done in a relatively short amount of time. The weather has been an added challenge this year as well…definitely keeping us on our toes. The easiest part is having fun doing it. We have an awesome cast and an incredible team of teachers working so hard. They make it fun.”

The director explains the students that are a part of the show “clearly love the show” and want to be a part of this production. Hemling and everyone a part of the show dedicates a lot of their time to this musical.

Hemling says, “I absolutely love watching our students fall in love with music. Music and musicals offer a unique opportunity for students to expand their horizons and come out of their shells. Watching all of the hard work come together in the end is the most incredible feeling, and nothing brings me more joy than watching our students succeed and feel pride in their work.”

Choreographer and science teacher Mrs. Christine Jestel shares, “In college, I minored in dance and began choreographing musicals while still in high School. Ironically, my first musical as a choreographer and teacher in a school was Bye Bye Birdie in Alexandria, Virginia, and when I came back to teaching, it was my first musical here at North Harford.  I have had the pleasure of working on Man of La Mancha, Brigadoon, Oliver, Guys and Dolls, the King and I, and The Music Man as a choreographer and assistant director over the years.”

Jestel explains that throughout the show, students are able to learn the value of “practicing to achieve excellence” as to learn the show. She shares, “I spend much of my weekends and evenings planning choreography, blocking, and props… but I choose to spend my time like this.”