UCBAC All Stars: Senior Field Hockey Players Take Field

JULIA FOSTER, Reporter

As a high school varsity athlete, each year competitors have the chance to be chosen to play in an All Star game with the top players from each team in the county.  

This year, seniors Molly Zardus, Sarah Burton, and Gracie Goetz participated in the UCBAC field hockey All Star game.  “It was weird because I didn’t know anyone (except Sarah and Gracie) and we had to wing it with the team since we weren’t used to playing with each other.  They gave me a shirt and I️ went to my side of the field,” said Zardus.  Similarly, Burton added, “ I was expecting it to be a fun exciting experience and to play with different girls that we were not used to playing with and that have good talent in the county.  It was different than playing on any other team because with no practice you had to adjust quickly to other girls play who you’ve never met before.”  

As for the way the teams were made, Zardus claimed that it seemed to be completely random except that the girls from each school got to stay together. “ The teams were divided by schools so like about three girls from each school were together on a team so there was a white team with like say Fallston, Edgewood, Bel Air girls, etc and then there was a gray team with the girls from North Harford, C. Milton Wright, Patterson Mill, etc.  We found out about a week before that Mrs. Harward picked us to play in it and there were no practices beforehand,”

Burton concluded, “My favorite part was competing in a different environment on the field with different girls, and I was really thankful to have the neat opportunity to represent North Harford along with Molly and Gracie.”  Zardus said the best part was “Getting to play field hockey one more time and a free shirt,” as well as “being on a team with girls I️ didn’t know and making a good play together.”