Charm City races raise Awareness

JULIA BARSTOW, Reporter

On Saturday March 10, Charm City encourages people to run a mile with ASA (Athletes Serving Athletes.)

The ASA empowers athletes who live with disabilities to finish the race and cross the finish line in a sporting event. Charm City run has been asking people to volunteer as a “wingman” to lend their legs to push athletes across the finish lines and run with them.

Charm City has done many marathons and charities for people who have disabilities. The annual Kelly Shamrock 5k run, they even offer 5k free training.

Charm City says, “the races were created for those who are new to the sport, or looking to improve their speed. In just 6 weeks, you’ll be ready to take on 3.1 miles!”  5K training is a great way to start running consistently and learn how to run properly, and the next 5k training starts on May 14.

Charm City also trains for the Baltimore Women’s Classic. The race celebrates life, fitness and the power that lies within each woman to take control of her health and to help others  through the concept of “Women Helping Women”.

The race is taking place on June 24 on Rash Field. The race benefits female cancer patients and improves the quality of daily life.   

Senior Brooke Rickey says “running these sorts of things is really good and fun because some runs are for getting a free donut or just for fun. Races like these have greater meaning to them which is awesome.” The senior said people should participate in these activities because it spreads awareness and is super fun and you can do it with friends!

Sophomore Abbey Kroener says, “special organizations like this give people the opportunity to run, not just alone but with others who love running or need support… It’s a great opportunity to give and show support and help diseases but also to keep yourself in good health.”

The sophomore also says that  Charm City and other companies that are doing similar programs are doing this are showing that there can be a really fun and unique way to support people everywhere in need. Through this you can help other people reach their goals as well as your own personal goals.