That’s a wrap; wrestlers face off at States

LIZZIE CATRAMBONE, Reporter

This year, the North Harford High School wrestling team had two wrestlers make their way to States. Coached by Mr. Knox, both Josh Mitchell and Austin Floyd wrestled their way to the last meet of the season.

Mitchell has been wrestling for 11 years and Floyd for just 4 years.  Mitchell qualified for states last year, while this was Floyd’s first year qualifying.   “We just worked out really hard and went to practice with some other schools that had really good wrestlers.” says senior Floyd.  With the cross training with wrestlers from other schools and their past wrestling experience, Mitchell and Floyd felt they were prepared to take on the season.

Unfortunately,  Floyd, who is a senior this year, was  unable to compete in his final states meet opportunity due to an injury. “I fell on my fist the week before (states) practicing and it progressively got worse until my cartilage separated from my ribs,” says Floyd.  Despite the injury, Floyd’s coach was still pleased with his season, “…if he wasn’t injured he probably could’ve placed pretty high; he had a great year and we were very happy with Ausin’s work this year.”

Mitchell made it all the way to sixth place in the state this season.  Coach Knox says, “I was very happy with what he did and it was a pleasure coaching and watching him.”  This was a step up from last year, as he was only a freshman competing, and won one match. Mitchell had a great season and “(placed) in probably the toughest weight class in the state,” says coach Knox.

The coach is looking forward to next season as well.  The whole team did pretty well this year, and Coach Knox’s motto was “… the harder they (the wrestlers) work the more success they have.”

Both the coaches and the wrestlers have high hopes that the team will do just as well next season, with the incoming freshmen and sophomores as well as the current members of the team.  “(Austin) was our only senior that finished the season and was co-captain,” says Coach Knox, “he will be missed.”