Fall, winter sports postponed; Students train, getting ready for spring season

Alexa Falls, Reporter

On August 3 of this year HCPS originally postponed all face-to-face athletic conditioning, practices and competitions. In early October, school officials released a plan for training and modified schedules.

Now, North Harford athletes have varying reactions in November when it was announced their season had been paused again. Sophomore lacrosse player and cross-country runner Ethan Jourdan says postponing sports is necessary. “How I see it, many kids wouldn’t be allowed to do sports until the virus really calms down anyways, whether that’s because of parents’ permission or health conditions.” Jourdan mentions, “I feel like a lot of players have slacked on keeping in shape.” He adds, “obviously not shaming, because I’ve been a little guilty of this myself, but this sets a big roadblock in bettering ourselves in the future.” 

Junior Megan Mannlein played volleyball and tennis during her freshman and sophomore years. She says, “it is necessary to ensure safety for students.” On the topic of athletes and coaches, Mannlein mentions that, “students have to find an alternative way to be active and workout or play their sport on an outside sports team,” and coaches, “have more free time on their hands.” 

Sophomore Jenna Amrhein, a 3-sport athlete, says, “if Covid protocols are followed correctly then the seasons should not have been postponed.” Amrhein also adds, “no one knows if the protocols would be followed so they should also be postponed.”

Sports being postponed is, “leaving all of us [athletes and coaches] without a season to play and coach the sport(s) we love.” She mentions, “we will also miss that team bonding experience with meeting new people and building close relationships with others.” 

Jourdan explains how this change, “has also affected us mentally.” He adds, “personally, sports were one of my big escapes and now without that, it doesn’t help with mental health and well-being.” Jourdan says, “I don’t think it will be manageable by students. Many students are going to be forced to compromise their sports.” He adds, “no one likes having to miss out on a sport you love for your main sport. Plus, other clubs and interests, it will be tough to decide.” 

If sports weren’t paused for the spring, Jourdan says he would be, “an eight or nine,” on the excited scale. Mannlein said that her excitement would be a six out of ten due to, “the concern for my health.” Since sports are still postponed, officials don’t know if athletes will be able to play in the spring. Amrhein says her excitement would have been a ten out of ten, “I’m always excited to play.”