Boys volleyball has slow start at 1-5; Hawks continue to show improvement

Aaron Huth

Senior Vance Haire (Left) and Senior Ryan Tracy (Right) take the court after their first set-win, North Harford would fall short to the Mustangs by a score of 3-2.

Ben Sersen, Reporter

The North Harford boys volleyball has opened the season with a 1-5 record. However, this record doesn’t quite sit well with the players.

Senior Ryan Tracy told Cry of the Hawk “the record doesn’t serve our team justice.”  He adds, “we have good players who could win us games.” 

Senior Aaron Huth stated the same saying their record “doesn’t serve us justice due to injuries and contract tracing. Additionally, the senior said, “we haven’t had a game where our whole roster is active.”

Although their record is not what they had hoped for, freshman Jackson Armiger has emerged as a top talent according to teammates. Tracy claimed “our freshman setter Jackson Armiger came out of nowhere this year.  I missed the first week of tryouts and came back when we had our first practice.  I was surprised when I heard he was only a freshman.”

Huth agreed.  “We don’t get a lot of freshmen playing at a varsity level and he[Armiger] never gets subbed out.”

The team only bolstered one win up as of Sept 23,  against rival Fallston High.  Huth claimed “my favorite game was against Fallston as it was our only win, and it was a commanding victory.” He went on to say “we currently have two players not being able to play due to covid and another one due to injury so it’s a major setback as two are starters.”

The senior also believes the “coach has done a great job at adjusting mid-game to optimize success, however, we haven’t always been able to execute.”   Huth added “I missed our first two games due to contract tracing and since I’ve been back, I feel my play has gotten increasingly better as our games have gotten closer each time.”

When asked about a standout player, Huth and Tracy both mention Vance Haire as a hard worker who doesn’t stop until the clock hits zero. Tracy stated, “ He busts his [booty] in games even when we are losing and know we are going to lose.” His teammates comment on his leadership abilities. “He has been very helpful to our younger guys teaching them how to be successful,” said Tracy.

Haire shifted attention to senior Grant Maxa claiming he “ broke out of his shell and has easily become our best player. Last time we played, before covid, he was four inches shorter and could not hit as well. Now he is one of the best hitters in the county I’d say.”

Haire also claims that their contest against C. Milton Wright has been a good reflection of their season.  “We were down 2 sets to 0, we fought back and made it 2-2 but unfortunately we lost the last set.”