North Harford golf team has record of 14-1, winners of Upper Chesapeake Bay Athletic Conference golf tournament

Members of the North Harford golf team won the UCBAC golf tournament with a score of 307. Beating C Milton Wright’s golf team by 17 points and Fallston’s golf team by 23 points. Photo Credit -Johnny Manzari

Caroline Barquin, Reporter

North Harford High School has been one of Harford Counties top teams throughout the fall season. For its 27th year the team has bounced back strongly after Covid 19 has caused a year off.

Nick Panos, the head golf coach, is joined by Mitch Vocke, the assistant coach, and seniors Zach Wilcox and Aaron Bach.

“The team is 14-1 in matches, and they have won the Upper Chesapeake Bay Athletic Conference (UCBAC) golf tournament at Bulle Rock Golf Course,” Panos explained. Junior Johnny Manzari, a member of the team said “The team practices everyday at Geneva Farm Golf Course right down the road directly after school.”

Manzari described the team this year to be “going good, we have a lot of good golfers on the team that make it fun to practice and play.”

Covid 19 caused the golf team to not have a season last year, according to Manzari. “We could have been really good last year because we had a lot of upperclassmen, but we didn’t practice as a team last year so we are not as good as we could have been.”

Panos agrees that they would have had a very successful season last year because of the seniors who were good players. “The team is right where we would be last year because a lot of golfers played through Covid and into the summer, so we didn’t miss too much,” described Panos.

C Milton Wright’s gold team finished second in the UCBAC tournament, a couple shots behind North Harford’s team. Panos said that C Milton Wright is the biggest rival component to his team. “We barely beat them in the UCBAC and then they barely beat us in the regional tournament. They have been our only losses in the individual matches.”

The 2021-2022 state tournament will take place on October 26th and 27th where senior Zack Wilcox has qualified to go. “States are a big deal, not many people get to go to states, ” explained Panos. Wilcox in the UCBAC tournament won first place out of about 50 golfers. He then went to get second place in the regional tournament out of 56 players to qualify for states.

Coach Panos mentioned the top five golfers on the North Harford team are, “Zach Wilcox, Aaron Bach, John Manzari, Jimmy Calland, and Coulter Parsons.” These players have great prospects in the sport and are consistently showing good sportsmanship.

Manzari describes his favorite part of being a part of the golf team is heading to “Golden Corral after practice.”  Panos said he enjoys seeing his players push themselves to be great every day and genuinely enjoy the sport.